Looking for Subedar Tanaji Malusare Age, Wife, Family, Death, Biography, Facts & More? Read through this article.
|Another Name||Subedar Taanaji Malusare|
|Profession||An Army Leader (Maratha Empire).|
|Beloved For||The Battle of Sinhagad 1670|
|Date of birth||Year 1600|
|Place of Birth||Godavli, Javali Taluka Satara, Maharashtra|
|Date of death||Year 1670|
|The Place of Death||Sinhagad, Pune, Maharashtra|
|Age at the death||70 years|
|Death Cause||He suffered severe wounds while on the battle field.|
|Hometown||Godavli, Javali Taluka Satara, Maharashtra|
|Hobbies||Horse Riding and Fencing|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at death)||Married|
|Parents||Father– Sardar Kaloji
|Siblings||Brother– Sardar Suryaji|
A Few Lesser-Known Facts about Tanaji Malusare
- Tanaji was a legendary warrior in the Maratha Empire.
- He was a Malusare ancestor and fought many battles with Chhatrapati Shivaji Mahraj.
- Tanaji is the most well-known of all. for His bravery in the Battle of Sinhagad, 1670 A.D.
- In 1665, as per the Treaty of Purandar, Shivaji had to give up the fort of Kondana (located near Pune) to the Mughals. It was considered nearly impenetrable because it was the largest strategically-placed fort. The fort was commanded by Udaybhan Rathod, a Rajput warrior, appointed by Mughal Army chief Jai Singh I.
- The idea of Mughal’s control over the fort was deeply enraging to Shivaji’s mother, Rajmata Jijabai. She advised Shivaji that he reconquer the fort.
- Tanaji was selected to lead the army during the fight to reconquer Shivaji’s fortress. Shivaji assigned Tanaji Malusare to the task and summoned Tanaji while he was busy prepping. for his son’s wedding. Tanaji left the festivities and took charge of the campaign and left for Kondana.
- After reaching Kondana with 300 soldiers, he attempted to climb the fort’s western side.
- According to one story, while scaling the fort, Tanaji took the help of a Bengal Monitor Lizard (Ghorpad) named “Yashwanti” to which he tied a rope and went crawling up top to the fort. After two unsuccessful attempts, he finally managed to climb the hillfortress.
- Once inside the fort and after opening the “Kalyan Darwaza,” Tanaji and his men attacked the Mughal army. Suryaji, Tanaji’s younger brother, led another 500-strong detachment.
- Udaybhan Rathod was the commander of the fort. However, there were fierce battles between Udaybhan Rathod’s army as well as Tanaji’s troops.
- While fighting like a brave lion, Tanaji’s shield was broken. However, he tied his upper garment over his defending hand and continued fighting.
- The fort was eventually taken by Tanaji’s troops, although Tanaji Malusare died fighting in the field.
- When Shivaji heard about the demise of Tanaji, he expressed in grief by uttering- “Gad ala, pan sinha gela” (The fort has come, but the lion is gone).
- Shivaji later renamed Fort Kondana Sinhagad to honor Tanaji Malusare.
- Bollywood Actor in 2019. Ajay Devgn took to Twitter to announce that a biopic will be produced by him on the life of Subedar Tanaji Malusare with the title ‘Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior.’
- Here’s an interesting video about Tanaji Malusare’s biography: