Looking for Simar Dugal Height, Age, Husband, Family, Biography & More? Read through this article.
|Beloved For||Making ethnic wear for Bollywood Celebrities|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Maximum Height||in centimeters– 173 cm
in feet & inches– 5’ 8”
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Start||Photographer for professionals: Niyogi Publishers published the book “Suneet Varma”.|
|Last Design Collection||Chakori Collection
|Date of birth||20 May 1968, Monday|
|Date of death||12 August 2020, Wednesday|
|The Place of Death||At her mother’s New Delhi, India residence she died.|
|Age as at death||52 years|
|Death Cause||Liver cancer The Daily Guardian|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|College/University||Jesus and Mary College University of Delhi|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status at the time of death||Divorced|
|Affair/Boyfriend||Rajeet Nabha, Managing Director of Arzai Capital The Daily Guardian
|Husband/Spouse||Ex-husbandPremjit Dulal (CEO, Quest Merchants).
|Children||SonArjan Singh dugal (Menswear designer)
|Parents||FatherName not known
MotherRita Sawhney, a landscape photographer
|Siblings||BrotherParmeet S Sawhney
Some Lesser Known Facts About Simar Dugal
- Simar Dugal was a model-turned-designer, dubbed as ‘India’s first supermodel’.
- Simar Dugal’s mother, Rita Sawhney was a landscape photographer. After she was widowed, Rita Sawhney raised her children by herself.
- Simar was born in Amritsar and lived there during her childhood. Her family was conservative and she didn’t want to be a model. Ritu Kumar, fashion designer shared this long Instagram note:
“I have known the family for They lived in Amritsar for a very long time. Initially, they were conservative and wary of her desire to become a model.”
View this post on Instagram
With a heavy heart today we got the news that Simar Dugal is no more. She passed away last night at 2.30 at her mother Rita Sawhneys home , at a very young age of 52 years. I have known the family for a long time,from my childhood in Amritsar where they lived. Initially they were conservative and wary of her desire to become a model. Her first assignment was a rather naive shoot at our show room, when she was in her teens.Subsequently Simar moved on to become one of the most known faces on the indian ramp and was a muse for many design houses. She was special to me, and modelled for my book “The Costumes and Textiles of Royal India”, —in picture, as well as for a dozen or more Tree of Life shows that we did, telling the story of indian crafts. We all travelled all over the world and she was particularly interested in history and content. On the ramp, she brought to the table a grace, attitude and intelligence, as well as beauty which was all her own and rare in the world of fashion. Her body language told a story which conveyed much more than the clothes she wore. She was highly intelligent, a wonderful human being and a friend as we shared a love for textiles. She fought a very difficult battle, for several years now, with cancer, and survived the years she lived ,with a brave face which was exemplary. For me her passing away , seems as if an era of fashion in india has also gone, perhaps not ever to come back again in quite the same way.I have also lost a friend , and a muse. She will be truly missed. My deepest condolences to her family, who have been pillars of strength through her tough journey to the end. – Ritu Kumar
- Dugal loved to play golf. It was during her late teenage days when the famous designer Suneet Varma discovered the astonishing model at the Delhi Golf Club and was left amazed by her beauty.
- Simar Dugal married when she was 19-20 years old.
- After Simar and Premjit Dugal got divorced, Premjit Dugal married Rahul dev’s ex-wife late. Rina. Coincidentally, on May 16, 2009, Rina too died due to cancer.
- Simar was one of the few Indian models who broke the stereotypes and walked the ramp after getting married and bearing a child.
- Simar Dugal’s first professional picture ever, was shot by designer Suneet Varma. The glorious picture was also featured in his book titled ‘Suneet Varma’ published by Niyogi Publishers.
- Dugal became one of the most well-known faces within the Indian fashion world. She has worked alongside Ritu Kumar since 1995.
- Dugal modelled later. for Kumar’s book ‘The Costumes and Textiles of Royal India’, and ‘Tree of Life designs’.
- Simar, despite being tall, thin, and with well-etched features, did not accept the traditional notion of beauty. When asked “What makes a woman beautiful?”, she replied,
It is more than physical appearance. Beauty comes down to being introspective. A person’s whole personality is what makes them stand out. See Chandralekha (the ballet dancer) or Shabana Azmi. for instance. They probably don’t fit into the conventional ideas that people have about beauty, but I think they are stunning.’
- Dugal was eventually able to stop modeling and instead design and make garments. for Indian markets and leatherwear for exports. She started her own label ‘Simar Dugal’. These stunning pieces are heritage-inspired and have a touch of sparkle.
- Her designs were worn by several Bollywood celebrities, such as Malaika Arora, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Athiya Shetty, Shilpa Shetty and many more.