Looking for Ranjan Gogoi Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More? Read through this article.
|Profession||Chief Justice of India (Law Personnel)|
|Beloved For||The 46th Chief Justice Of India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Maximum Height||in centimeters– 168 cm
in feet inches– 5’ 6”
|Date of Birth||Thursday, 18 November 1954|
|Age as of 2019||65 years|
|The birthplace||Dibrugarh in Assam|
|Schools||• Don Bosco High School, Guwahati, Assam
• Cotton University, Guwahati, Assam
|College/University||• St Stephen’s College, Delhi
• Delhi University
|Education Qualifications Deccan Herald||• History (Hons) from the St Stephen’s College, Delhi
• Bachelor of Laws from the Delhi University
|Caste/Ethnicity||Tai Ahom India Today|
|Hobbies||You can watch football matches, play chess or cricket.|
|Controversies||• Gogoi was a part of the Supreme Court bench that set aside the death sentence awarded by a trial court to the accused in the “Soumya Murder and Rape Case”. The judgement was criticized by several people, including Supreme Court judges. Deccan Herald
• In the first time in the history of the Supreme Court of India, a press conference was held by Gogoi and three other Supreme Court Judges. They questioned the working of the Supreme Court when Justice Arun Mishra was allocated the hearing of the case of the death of CBI Judge, B.H.Loya by the then Chief Justice of India, Dipak Mishra. Justice Mishra condemned their actions and claimed that the press conference was intended to discredit his image. The Wire
• In April 2019, a 35-year-old former female employee of the Supreme Court of India made allegations of sexual harassment against Gogoi. She claimed that Gogoi harassed her sexually in his office between 10 and 11 October 2018. Her employment ended on 21 December 2018. India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son– Raktim Gogoi (Advocate)
|Parents||FatherKesab Chaudra Gogoi (Former Chief minister of Assam).
Mother– Shanti Gogoi
• Anjan Gogoi (Elder; Retired Air Marshal from The Indian Air Force)
• Niranjan Gogoi (Younger; Doctor; lives in London)
Sister(s)– 2 (Younger; Names Not Known)
|As of 2018, Assets/Properties The Week||• Bank Deposit 6.5 lacs INR
• Fixed Deposit 16 Lacs INR
• LIC Policy 5 Lacs INR
• Apartment Building Assam, Japorigog Mouza Beltola.
|Salary as a Member of Rajya Sabha||Rs. Rs. rajyasabha.nic.in (as of 2020)|
Ranjan Gogoi’s Lesser-Known Facts
- Ranjan Gogoi, 46th Chief Justice in India was his name. On 17 November 2019, he retired and was credited with hearing many cases, including the 134-year-old Ayodhya Land Dispute.
- Keshab Chandra Gogoi, his father was Chief Minister of Assam. for Two months in 1982.
- Ranjan, his brother Anjan played a toss before enrolling in a school. Ranjan went at Don Bosco School. Anjan won the toss, and went to Sainik School.
- His brother, in an interview, revealed that Ranjan cleared the UPSC exam but didn’t see his future in it and told his father that he wanted to study law.
- 1978 was his first year at bar. He began to practice law at Gauhati’s High Court.
- He lost his father on 5 August 1998.
- He was appointed as the Permanent Judge at Gauhati High Court on 28 February 2001.
- His transfer to the Punjab and Haryana High Court took place on 9 September 2010.
- He was appointed Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court on 12 February 2011.
- On 23 April 2012, he was made a Judge at the Supreme Court.
- Many high-profile cases have involved him. He dismissed Reliance Communication’s appeal challenging the demand of the Gujarat Government seeking 13 Crores INR as property tax.
- Kanhaiya, a JNU student, was also dealt with by a bench headed Justice Gogoi. The petition was rejected by him.
- He presided the bench that passed the judgment to introduce new electoral reforms by ruling that no one can contest elections without making a full and honest disclosure about his/her assets, educational, and criminal antecedents.
- He was also part of the bench that restricted ruling parties from publishing images of prominent persons or political leaders in government-funded advertisements.
- His name is well-known for His strict behavior in court.
- In January 2018, Gogoi with three other judges held an unprecedented press conference underlining the problems plaguing the Supreme Court. They accused the then Chief Justice of India, Dipak Misra of not handling the case of the death of the CBI Judge B. H. Loya. Justice Misra mocked the press conference, accusing the judges of ruining his image.
- Ram Nath Kovind (President of India) swore him in as Chief Justice Of India on September 14, 2018. He was appointed the Chief Justice of India (CJI) until his retirement on 17/11/2019.
- On 18 October 2019, Gogoi recommended SA Bobde‘s named as the 47th Chief Justice of India by sending a letter of recommendation to the Union Law Minister, Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- CJI Ranjan Gogoi delivered, together with four other Supreme Court judges on November 9, 2019, the verdict in the ongoing 134-year-old Ayodhya case regarding land disputes.
- In exercising the powers granted by clause (a) of Article 80 of Constitution of India read with clause (3), President Ram Nath Kovind nominated Ranjan Gói to the Rajya Sabha on 16 March 2020. In November 2019, Mr. Gogoi retired as Chief Justice of India.